Friday, March 20, 2009

I'm gonna talk about it

What is up with conversations between mixed races?

You know how you can look at someone and "stereotype"?.. come on, everyone does it!

Earlier this afternoon, I had a discussion with the other admin that I work with. She herself is black. We are good friends and everything is cool, but as soon as I bring up something regarding another race.. the switch gets flipped. Has society trained minorities to be defensive? I am in no way a racist. I believe that everyone is equal... except for Britney Spears and she is a DB.

So here is how the conversation went. I will call the female we were talking about "L". Oh man, "L" has such an attitude and is rude to everyone. "L"

I said.. I heard she is married to a white man. Ok, yes.. I was being a stereotype but this lady does NOT look like she'd marry a white man. She looks more along the type who'd be married to a Mike Tyson look alike. When I said that, there was absolutely NOTHING racist in my mind. I was actually being racists towards the white guy if you want to get particular.

So, my friend's first response.. "yeah, she is.. what is wrong with that".

Why would she immediately think that there was a problem with it. We can talk about the woman's bad hair, bad makeup, bad attitude.. but gosh let me talk about who she is married to and the whole room gets quiet.

Then, I start feeling guilty for something that I shouldn't feel guilty about. I meant nothing by it. That is like saying.. Oh my God.. her husband is a big asshole. It is the same in my mind.


WTF

4 comments:

Retainer Girl said...

Sorry I missed your previous post about loan questions...

I had a great loan officer who spent a lot of time with me and was always available. I didn't have many questions--mostly because I had no effing clue what I was doing!

My advice is to get a fixed-rate mortgage no matter what anyone else says. Your interest rate is going to kick a because of the economy, so go you!

Make sure you trust your loan officer and that s/he gives you his/her cell phone number. You want someone who's available 24/7 because the real estate market doesn't close on the weekends.

That's about it, I guess. I rely heavily on how I feel, and I knew immediately that I could trust my loan officer, so I felt comfortable with her.

Good luck!

Retainer Girl said...

One other thing for when you start actually looking at properties: Really think about how much space you need. Because the real estate market is ridiculously in favor of buyers, I got a little greedy and imagined buying a townhouse with two or three bedrooms.

I ended up buying a 750-square foot, one-bedroom, one-bathroom condo, and it is plenty big. I don't know what I would have done with a big house! You have to clean it and buy furniture and stuff to decorate--no thanks!

Jenn M said...

Great ideas!! I went yesterday and looked at townhouses.. which I'm going to write about on my blog and you will see!

Roxanna said...

Jenn I want you to get a face book account... I miss you there!