Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Date

So, the date went well. I met him at the movies. I am not cool with a guy picking me up for our first date. He doesn't need to know where I live and he doesn't need that much control yet. He could totally drive me into the wilderness and do whatever with me.. ha
Anyhow, moving on. I met him at the movies at 9:15 .. "movie started at 9:20.. I was late.. oops". He texted me and asked me if I wanted him to get the tickets. I said sure, I'll get our food. So, it worked out to be a pretty even date.
We went to see "Heartbreak Kid". Great movie.. weird sex scenes though, which were awkward for me just because it was my first date with him... So, he and I talked a lot (even during the movie..and I'm not one of those people).. So, I think it turned out well. No hand holding or arm around the shoulder.. but we sat close...... close enough to where our shoulders touched just a little.. and he would lean into my neck and whisper shit talking about the people sitting around us. Like, if you see this movie... it has tons of cussing (dirty dirty cussing from Ben Stiller's Dad) and nudity and just rude rude comedy. There were a couple about the age of 60 in the movie.. and we talked about them all night. Chris would tell me how mad the wife would be for the husband picking that movie.. haha..
So, um.. lets see.. where was I. Um, yeah so we watched the movie and then called it a night. We ended with a nice firm hug and both of us agreeing we should do it again.

So, all in all - date went well.

One thing I'm so confused about these days.. someone please help me with this. Is a man still supposed to pay? I mean, what if you invite him out? I am so nervous when it comes to the paying for the tickets or paying for the dinner.. I don't want to seem like a snob and "expect" to be spoiled.. but, I like to be old fashioned.. so, I usually bring cash and offer to pay my share.. or if he pays for something, I pay for something else.
Any advice .. real advice on how to handle this awkward situation?

4 comments:

Roxanna said...

I think that you have the right idea, bring cash and be ready to pay for your self but don't feel bad if he pays for everything.

Retainer Girl said...

I think this is a valid, difficult question, especially nowadays. I always bring cash and offer to pay my share, but I'm always slightly disappointed if the guy accepts my offer or mentions that we should go dutch. I was on one date and throughout the entire dinner, the guy complained about how poor he was, so I felt guilty about how much my entree costs. He was a jerk.

Roxanna said...

That does sound like a jerk thing to do!!!!

Jenn M said...

Seriously, that is so true. Like, I had a date one time.. (I'm not kidding).. where I said "I have my credit card".. meaning, I would pay for myself and I ended up paying for the both of us. So, that is where "cash" on a date comes from.
I hate it.. men should treat us like ladies.. and take me to the spa and drop me off hahahah :)