Monday, October 15, 2007

Interracial Dating.. Is it ok?

According to USA Today, in America 6% of marriages are interracial; in 1970, it was less than 1%. A Gallup Poll on interracial dating in June 2005 reported that 95% of 18- to 29-year-olds approve of blacks and whites dating. About 60% of that age group said they have dated someone of a different race.

So, does this make it ok for me to date a black man? I have a friend.. right now, he is only a friend. I've had a little thing for him for a while now.. but nothing has escalated. He was born in Nebraska, played football for JMU and has a degree in Biology. He is a Virologist.. which means he is incredibly smart. His parents are still together, so he isn't a woman hater. He is clean of drugs, doesn't drive drunk, doesn't abuse women, doesn't cuss his mother out and adores his brother. He loves animals and owns 1 that he treats like a son. He is sweet and gentle (although he weighs about 250+ lbs) lol..
He listens to rock music and wears jeans up around his waist. He has to have his sheets tucked in perfect.. " something he said he learned from his father who was in the airforce". He listens to National Public Radio and is very smart.. almost intimidating.

So, my question is.. Is it ok these days to interracially date? My parents aren't so cool with it.. but would they get used to it? If I like this guy, is it ok? I'm fine with it.. so should I just ignore everyone else's opinions and go for it?

I'm confused but I really like him.

7 comments:

CindyLou said...

Jenn, you already know how I feel about this. Honestly, do you really feel like you need to justify why you like this guy? I mean, would go through explaining all that about about a white guy? Perhaps you should. I say, as long as you like him and he's not a total jerk, who cares what race he is? I know you love your parents, but it's not their life, it's yours and you should do what makes you happy.

Jenn M said...

Thanks Cindylou I love you.. LOL.. (it rhymes) haha

Roxanna said...

I am with Cindy... I mean really would they want you with a white guy that was a jerk and wasn't worth that time of day or a black guy that is nice and smart and cares about you. I think they would come around to it

Jenn M said...

Thanks Roxanna. I just know this is my luck that I meet someone I like that is extraordinary sp?. I've mentioned him to my mom.. and I think she would be cool with it.. but it would be my dad I'd be most worried about.

Retainer Girl said...

I sympathize with you b/c I had a little "incident" with my parents back in high school about an African-American boy who asked me to Homecoming. Needless to say, I didn't go to the dance. We're adults now, and I of course want my parents' approval as well, but this guy sounds really sweet, so who the f cares? Go for it! It's other people's problem, not yours.

Cristine said...

We are all just people ... if you like the guy it doesn't matter what color his skin is. Your parents will get over it ...

You know ... you make me realize how lucky I am ... race has NEVER been an issue with my parents. All of us kids were raised to see only people ... no colors ...

Jenn M said...

Oh.. my parents were raised.. hillbilly style.. WV. Small town with no real interracial contact. I have absolutely no problem. Shoot, his skin is beautiful.. better than mine LOL.

Thanks so much for the advice.